Contact dermatitis occurs when the reaction initiating substances and your bare skin interact. Irritation or skin inflammation medical term is dermatitis. You have to identify the substance that causes a reaction and avoid it. It will make the rash disappear within a few days.
Causes of Contact Dermatitis:
It consists of three types. They are
- Photo contact dermatitis
- Allergic contact dermatitis
- Irritant contact dermatitis
Photo Contact Dermatitis:
It is a rare type of contact dermatitis. However, skin care products like sunscreen may have vital ingredients that irritate when exposed to the sun.
Allergic Contact Dermatitis:
Your skin feels irritated and itchy due to the immune system's response to the allergens. When the foreign substances touch the skin, your body lets out inflammatory chemicals. Because of this chemical reaction, the rash may appear.
- Skin burns and redness
- Dry along with swelling skin (in eyes, face, or groin areas)
- Hives, sun sensitivity
- Scaly and tender skin
The general causes of allergic contact dermatitis are
- Ingredients in perfumes, cosmetics, and skincare products
- Chemicals in skin ointments
- Latex gloves and rubber
- Materials having gold or nickel
Irritant contact dermatitis:
It is the general type of contact dermatitis. Frequently using irritants like shampoo, soap, detergents, and acid interacts with your outer layer of skin, the skin reaction occurs. As a result, redness or rash appears on the skin.
- Swelling and blistering
- Crack in the skin by dryness
- Thick or stiff skin
- Layer over open lesions
The known irritants are
- Bleach, soap, and detergents
- Shampoos and solvents
- Airborne substances (wool dust or sawdust)
- Pesticides and fertilizers.
Your doctor can recognize the cause by seeing the symptoms. For exceptional cases, an allergy test known as a patch test is taken. Here an allergen and a small patch of skin are exposed; later, your skin either reacts to it or not. If it responds, then it will be the cause of your contact dermatitis.
The preventive measures involve a change in your daily habits. It can minimize the risk of getting infected.
- Clean your skin and moisturize it
- Ignore allergens and irritants
- Safeguard your skin with clothes and gloves
- Stop using irritate-causing products
- Fragrance-free soaps, lotions, and detergents are available. Utilize it.