"Hand-foot-mouth disease is a contagious viral infection. The enterovirus genus, mainly coxsackievirus, is the reason behind these causes"
We can distinguish HFMD by swelling around the mouth and rashes on the feet and hands. HFMD won't look for people's age; it will infect randomly. However, under-five age children are mostly affected. You people don't have to be panic because the mild symptoms will be gone within a few days.
The symptoms vary according to the period as the infection starts. The initial stage symptoms are,
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
After fever begins in a day or two, the upcoming signs may get triggered.
- Painful consumption leads to loss of appetite
- Tiny sores on the tonsils and throat
- Red, painful, blisters-like wounds on the gums, tongue, and cheeks inside
- Discomfort or pain when you touch the soles of the feet and palms of the hands
- Red rashes appear on the palms of the hands, diaper area, and soles of the feet are not itchy.
Herpangina is described as sores in the throat and back of the mouth; herpangina is a viral illness. Herpangina characteristics are high temperature and at an instant stroke. In rare cases, sores may arise on the feet, hands and other parts of the body.
Causes of HFMD
Enterovirus is the leading cause of HFMD that has various groups. The same enterovirus can't be responsible for HFMD. For some cases, some enterovirus causes HFMD. But for most patients, coxsackievirus A16 enterovirus is responsible for HFMD.
Below we give the list through which the infection passes are
- An infected person's saliva can spread the infection
- While sneezing or coughing, droplets from the respiratory can get into the air can pass the disease.
- Close contact with the HFMD affected people.
- While oozing of fluids from blisters can also infect others
- Stool of the children when changing the diaper
- Throat discharge or nasal secretions
The HFMD's symptoms may lead to some life-threatening complications. Some of them are,
Dehydration - The first and foremost complication is dehydration. The soreness in the mouth gives pain while swallowing liquids or foods. Due to this, intake will minimize, and your body can't get sufficient strength, leading to dehydration.
Viral Meningitis - It is extremely a rare condition. The membranes (meninges) are swollen, and the cerebrospinal fluid surrounds the spinal cord and brain.
Encephalitis - the virus causes brain inflammation.
Myocarditis - the middle layer of the heart gets swollen.
Paralysis - means disabled muscle function.
Doctors perform a general physical exam to identify HFMD. They check for rash or blisters on the patient's mouth and body and ask for other symptoms. That's all the diagnosis for HFMD, which doctors will conduct. But in some cases, for confirmation throat swab or stool sample is taken for testing. As a result, they can carry on treatment.
Treatment for HFMD
It won't be like getting admitted to the hospital or visiting the clinic weekly as mentioned treatment. It's the treatment for minimizing initial stage symptoms to ease the pain.
- Acetaminophen or ibuprofen helps for headache relief
- For sore throats, lozenges or medicated syrups are prescribed
- It is advised not to use aspirin for children because it can initiate Reye's syndrome and other serious illnesses.
It involves small kids, so don't decide on your own. Kindly consult the specialists before using any medications.
How to Prevent HFMD?
If you are an older adult, you may follow these preventive measures. But to make children and infants follow is a highly impossible task. However, parents have to take extreme care if they don't want to see their children suffer.
- Ask them to wash their hands repeatedly
- Completely clean and disinfect the floor
- Kids usually share their things. It's a good thing. But during the contagious period, strictly avoid sharing.
- Habituate them to close their mouth while sneezing
- Prohibit children from going outside till symptoms banish.