Intertrigo (intertriginous dermatitis) is a skin disease that appears in the skin folds, where skin friction occurs, or in areas with excess heat and moisture. The malfunction of the skin tends to rash or inflammation. This breakdown gives a chance for fungus or bacteria to grow in the area. This secondary infection can make the rash severe, but it’s not contagious.
Including huge skin-fold areas, intertrigo-infected areas are,
- Beneath the breasts
- Genital area
The people who mostly have intertrigo are diabetes, obese, weak immune system, or have artificial limbs.
Causes and Symptoms of Intertrigo
Feel itchy, ooze, or crack in the area with rashes
The infected skin will be like bleeding, raw skin, or crust over
Rash with reddish-brown or red color
Burn rash or itchy
In critical cases, a foul odor and ruptured skin are the symptoms of intertrigo.
Young and older people suffer from intertrigo, but people of any age can get affected.
Babies suffer from diaper rash that comes under intertrigo
Skin chafing makes the area warm and moist, and shortage of airflow
Fungus, bacteria and yeast infection move intertrigo to the severe stage
Types of Intertrigo
It affects different places of the skin at a time, but spreading does not happen. This type helps to differentiate the severity of the disease.
1. Acute Intertrigo
If intertrigo appears before a few days, it is acute intertrigo.
2. Recurrent Intertrigo
The relapsing of intertrigo occurs over time; it’s a recurrent intertrigo.
3. Chronic Intertrigo
Having intertrigo for six weeks and more, this case is called chronic intertrigo.
4. Interdigital Intertrigo
Rash between toes and fingers is interdigital intertrigo.
5. Uncomplicated Intertrigo
If the infection didn’t occur due to intertrigo being uncomplicated intertrigo.
6. Candida Intertrigo
Yeast candida (fungus) infects intertrigo, then it is candida intertrigo.
7. Diaper Rash
It is also a form of intertrigo named diaper dermatitis.
How to Prevent Intertrigo?
- Dry your skin after every shower.
- Avoid wearing tight shoes and clothes.
- Reduce weight if you are obese.
- Put on wet absorbent clothes, like cotton. Prohibit nylon and synthetic fibers.
- Change diapers often for kids.
- Wash and dry yourself after physical activity.
- Wet trap areas like breasts and armpits; use the dryer with a cool setting.
Treatments for Intertrigo
- Hydrocortisone, a topical steroid cream, is used for inflammatory skin diseases.
- Topical antifungal creams (terbinafine or clotrimazole) are used to treat fungi and yeast infections.
- Mupirocin and fusidic acid cream, tropical antibiotics, can heal bacterial infections.
Here the things you have to know about intertrigo are given. Also, use only prescribed medicines given by your doctor. Slim people are at less risk than obese people. Bring exercise and yoga to your regular activities for managing your body. From today onwards, fresh start your daily habits and become healthier.