Hair fall, otherwise known as Traction Alopecia, is a common issue. Nowadays, most people suffer from this problem at some point in their life. On average, losing about 50-100 hairs a day is normal. However, hair thinning or bald patches are the signs that you are losing hair. These conditions require doctor consultation to avoid further loss of your hair. If your body is affected by some chronic diseases, it will reveal its severeness through symptoms like too much hair falling. Furthermore, hair falling can also be due to the chemicals present in hair styling and coloring products (1). The correct diagnosis can help to control the hair fall with natural home remedies.
Reasons for Hair Fall
Many factors influence hair fall, such as
- Hormonal imbalance caused by childbirth, pregnancy, thyroid issues, PCOS, and menopause.
- Deficiency of essential nutrients such as copper, iron, zinc, vitamin D, and proteins.
- Extreme stress can cause sudden and severe hair loss.
- Medical Conditions such as Alopecia areata, Telogen effluvium, Androgenetic alopecia, and scalp infections cause severe hair loss.
- Hairstyling products that contain toxic chemicals can create hair fall.
- Medications or supplements, used for certain medical conditions such as high blood pressure, cancer, depression, and arthritis.
Foods for Healthy Hair
Consume nutrient-rich foods daily as it aids in strengthening your hair follicles and reducing hair fall problem (2). Here are a few nutrient-rich foods to keep your hair healthy (3). When included in your diet, they will help in hair regrowth.
Oat contains a high amount of iron, fiber, zinc, polyunsaturated fatty acids, and omega fatty acids, which helps make your hair thick and healthy. Including oats in your daily diet will stimulate hair regrowth.
Deficiency of iron may lead to hair fall. Spinach is rich in iron, protein, and vitamins A and C, essential for hair growth and health. Also, it has sebum, which works as a great natural conditioner for hair. It also helps to promote hair growth and maintain a healthy scalp.
Vitamin A deficiency prompts dry and itchy scalp. Carrot is rich in vitamin A that helps improves blood circulation, strengthens hair, prevents hair fall, and protects hair from breakage. Vitamin A helps with sebum production, which prevents hair loss.
Eggs are a great source of biotin, protein, and vitamins, all of which are essential for your hair growth and health. These nutrients help promote hair growth, reduce hair loss, and improves hair elasticity. Our hair is made of 68% of keratin protein, so eggs help in rebuilding damaged hair. Since hair follicles are made of protein, eating enough protein is necessary. Biotin supplements are used for hair growth because it is essential to produce a hair protein called keratin. Therefore, consume 1-2 eggs daily as it helps in keratin production, which is necessary for hair regrowth.
Walnuts contain nutrients like protein, biotin, magnesium, vitamin B1, B6, B9, and E, which help in nourishing the scalp and strengthening hair cuticles. Consume few walnuts every day as a snack to enjoy these benefits.
- Conditioners have amino acids that help to protect your tresses from damage and dryness. Using a good conditioner helps moisturize your hair and also helps to keep them soft and smooth.
- Yoga and exercise are the best way to preventing hair fall. So, try to concentrate on yoga that will give you mind relaxation and positive vibration.
- Firstly, you should know your scalp type before choosing your shampoo. Choosing a shampoo is an important thing, so avoid shampoo with chemicals like paraben, sulfate, and silicone because they are harmful to your hair.
- Moreover, wash your hair based on your scalp type because over-washing hair with a dry scalp can lead to hair fall and dandruff as well. If you don't wash your oily scalp thrice a week, it can also lead to the same problem.
- Avoid hot shower because it may strip the essential, natural oils of your hair and scalp.
- Massage your hairs with essential oils like coconut oil or jojoba oil once a week. It helps improve blood circulation and nourishes the roots. Apply a required amount of oil onto your hair and scalp, cover it with a shower cap and leave it for 1-2 hours. Rinse it off with mild shampoo.
- Don't comb your hair when they are still wet because it will break your hair.
- Avoid using curling rods, blow dryers, particularly on wet hair.