It is an inflammatory disorder that affects subcutaneous fat and also the type of panniculitis.
The acute erythema nodosum symptoms are tender bumps, and we can locate them in the shins. They get puffed up on and off for weeks; later, they diminish and vanish with the mark. After some time, other lumps may arise elsewhere. Because there is no basis that lesions will appear at the same place. This process takes place for some weeks to months, and without realizing it will gradually dissipate.
It is not the case in chronic erythema nodosum, as it may take a year to heal. With scattered recurrences in various patterns, it can occur even if the underlying disease exists or not.
Reasons to Exist
The cause of erythema nodosum will change based on the body condition. The conditions that are associated with erythema nodosum will be
- Cat scratch disease
- Behcet's disease
- Medications are birth control pills, sulfa-related drugs, and estrogens.
- Fungal disease (coccidioidomycosis, histoplasmosis)
- Normal pregnancy
- Inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease)
- A parasitic infection (giardiasis, amoebiasis)
Doctors may predict it while diagnosing people with these cases. As you people know, medical terms are interlinked with one other.
Signs of Erythema Nodosum
The symptoms that characterize erythema nodosum are,
- Joint pain
- Red and tender lumps on the shins
- Extended lymph nodes in the chest
Initially, your dermatologists will physically examine the rash. Later depending on the cause, tests include
- Throat swap for strep infection.
- If through medications, examine after stopping using the particular medicines.
- Finally, a biopsy is a procedure where a small portion of the affected skin is removed for detailed examination.
With these types, we can identify whether the erythema nodosum is the reason for the infection.
Doctors will reduce the condition by prescribing certain medications. Your inconvenience may decrease after taking it. They are
- Potassium iodide
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
- Colchicine for inflammation reduction
We have come to an end with erythema nodosum. Things to give knowledge about this disease are explained distinctly. Small matters can cause massive issues. So, call to consult your doctor for clarification if you’re in trouble.