Water is the most essential element for the body to perform its vital functions. Consuming an adequate amount of water helps in sustaining the balance of body fluids, metabolism, and body temperature. Approximately 50 to 70% of our body consists of water, which includes cells, tissues, etc. When the body cells don’t receive enough water to perform effective functioning, it leads to dehydration.
Dehydration refers to the lack of water in the body, resulting in constipation, headaches, kidney stones, wrinkles, hypertension, and many other health problems. Water also cleanses the toxins and other wastes from the body. It also increases metabolism and boosts the immune system. Avoiding other beverages and drinking water instead reduces the intake of calories. Drinking 3 to 5 liters of water must be consumed per day for healthy living.
Nutrients in Water
Nutrition Facts in Different Types of Water
- Tap water contains 2 mg of Magnesium (Mg), 7 mg of Calcium (Ca), 0.02 mg of Zinc (Zn), and 9 mg of Sodium (Na).
- Natural mineral water (sparkling) contains 17 mg of Magnesium (Mg) and 60 mg of Calcium (Ca).
- Bottled water contains 5 mg of Magnesium (Mg), 24 mg of Calcium (Ca), and 5 mg of Sodium (Na).
Here are a few Health Benefits of Drinking Water:
- Relieves Cramps – Muscles are composed of 75% water, and drinking enough water helps in normal contraction of muscles, which prevents muscle cramps.
- Removes Toxins – Water cleans the toxins from the body, which improves digestion and avoids kidney stones. It also keeps the face moisturized, clean, and reduces acne, which results in healthy and glowing skin.
- Anti Aging – Consuming enough water keeps the skin hydrated and delivers essential nutrients to the skin, which avoids aging factors like wrinkles.
- Removes Bad Breath – Dehydration also leads to bad breath, and consuming water washes the food particles out.
- Skin Care – For soft skin rather than applying cosmetic creams, drinking water is the most effective way to maintain the complexion.
- Helps in Weight Loss – Drinking more water also helps in reducing body fat and weight loss.
- Refreshes Body and Mind – Water keeps the body hydrated and helps in reducing headaches, improving the mood, and boosting memory.
- Prevents Ulcer – Drinking enough water relieves constipation, digestive problems, and acidic stomach. It prevents heartburn and stomach ulcers.
- Protects Spine – Water helps to protect your spinal cord and other sensitive tissues.
- Shields Joints – Water keeps your body temperature normal, and it also lubricates & shields joints.