Do you have dark inner thighs? No need to worry, because anyone can experience it. Regardless of skin tone, it happens when the inner thigh skin produces plenty of melanin, a pigment that gives color to the skin. In technical terms, it is defined as hyperpigmentation. The discoloration may extend to a bikini or groin area.
Causes of Dark Thighs
Specific medications like oral hormonal contraceptives or chemotherapy medications.
Exposure to the sun and dry skin.
A skin pigmentation disorder, Acanthosis nigricans.
Home Remedies to Lighten Dark Thighs
Remedies you can try at home to lessen dark inner thighs.
1. Coconut Oil and Lemon Juice
Coconut oil act as a moisturizer, which will make your thighs soft and flexible. It has essential fatty acids, which will aid to diminish the dark spots. Lemon is filled with Vitamin C that helps in treating hyperpigmentation. It also acts as a bleaching agent, which may lighten your skin tone. How to make coconut oil and lemon juice scrub?
- Take half lemon juice and add a few tsp of coconut oil with it.
- Apply the mixture on the affected area and massage for 10 mins or longer.
- Rinse with water and dry it.
For better outcomes, repeat at least 3 times a week. To prevent dryness, people with dry and sensitive skin can dilute lemon juice with water.
2. Baking Soda
Baking soda will exfoliate and lighten your skin. However, use it with care as it may be harsh for the skin. Hence, it could irritate your skin and aggravate the skin conditions. For making baking soda scrub:
- Take an equivalent amount of water and baking soda to make a paste.
- Put a thin layer of paste to inner thighs.
- After 15 mins, wash it off with cold water.
Cucumber consists of bleaching properties. It will lighten dark inner thighs by removing dirt and dead cells. Procedure for using it:
- Take half a cucumber and extract the juice.
- Rub it on the affected area using a cotton ball for 10 mins.
- Rinse it and dry the area.
For getting a lighter-toned inner thigh, do it twice every day.
4. Sugar Scrub
Sugar aids in exfoliating the skin, which helps to remove the dead skin cells. This process brightens the skin. Repeat for at least thrice a week for effective results.
- Mix a tsp of sugar, a tbsp of honey and fresh lemon juice.
- Apply the mixture and scrub gently.
- Wash it with water.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has a compound named Aloin, a skin lightener. It will soothe chafed and irritated skin by its rejuvenating properties. Applying it every day is beneficial for the skin.
- Extract the gel from the aloe vera plant.
- Rub the aloe vera gel and let it soak into the skin.
- No need to rinse it off.
6. Orange Peel
Orange peel has excellent bleaching properties that reduce dark inner thighs. It also exfoliates the skin. Steps to use orange peel scrub
- Mash the dried orange peels into a powder.
- Combine the powder, 2 tsp of rose water, some raw honey, and make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected area and leave it for 20 mins.
- Wash it using cold water.
You can try it for 2 to 3 times a week and see the results.
7. Turmeric Paste
Turmeric is furnished with an active component called Curcumin. This compound will suppress melanogenesis (melanin-producing process) and lessen dark skin on the inner thighs. Try it once regularly.
- Make a paste by adding a few drops of water to a tsp of turmeric powder.
- Scrub the paste on inner thighs and leave it for 20-30 mins.
- Clean it with water.
8. Oatmeal Yogurt Scrub
Oats have a compound called saponins, a natural cleanser. Oatmeal’s anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties help to exfoliate and remove dead skin cells. It is milder than sugar. The lactic acid in yogurt enhances skin health; it also contains a small amount of zinc that treats sunburns. Try it once every day for better results.
- Take oatmeal and yogurt in equal amount and make a paste.
- Gently scrub the paste in dark areas.
- Rinse it with water.
9. Potato Rub
- Take half potato, peel and grate it.
- With grated potato, add tomato juice and 1 tbsp of honey.
- Rub the mixture on the affected area and let it dry.
- Rinse it off with plain water.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar
Dark inner thighs occur to people who are obese. Apple cider vinegar is an antioxidant; daily intake helps to lose weight. Do this once every day.
- Blend 1 tbsp of water and 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar.
- Apply the solution to dark inner thighs using a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for 20 mins and wash it off.
- Blend almond powder and honey in milk to make a paste.
- Scrub it to inner thighs and allow it to dry.
- Clean it using wet fingers and rinse with cold water.
Try it thrice a week for an amazing outcome.
12. Red Lentil
Red lentil has plenty of uses like tighten the pores, removes tan, and make the skin brighter. They contain antioxidants that will make the skin tone even. To make a paste,
- Soak red lentil overnight in water.
- Make a thick paste by mashing it with milk (3).
- Apply the paste and leave for 15 mins.
- Wash it with water.
Over The Counter Measures
Medications help to lighten the dark spots, but it may be allergic to some people.
|Non Allergic OTC
You may consult a dermatologist about medicines or medical procedures if any of the home remedies and OTC are not effective for lightening your skin.
Hydroquinone – Use it only when your dermatologist prescribes it because it may be a carcinogen that causes cancer (4). A dermatologist might prescribe a higher concentration for better results and often suggested for short term use.
Retinoids – Particularly, retinoic acid can cure hyperpigmentation and further manage the growth of skin cells. Vitamin A rich retinoids will be available in OTC, whereas dermatologists prescribe higher concentrations (5). Several months of usage are required for results; indeed, this may make your skin dry and sensitive to the sun.
Laser Treatment– Dermatologists will recommend this procedure if it is needed. Nowadays, it is an effective treatment for skin pigmentation without a scar. While treating inner thighs, the healing process will be complicated if your thighs rub often.
- Look after your weight through exercise and diet.
- Keep the inner thigh area hygiene.
- Wear nylon stockings or bicycle shorts under dresses to prevent chafing.
- Avoid frequent shaving or waxing to prevent irritation.
- Put on loose and breathable clothes, which can inhibit sweat and friction.